Museum Alpenstadt Chur
Torculum (Vinicultural Museum)
Show all 5 images
Chur's history of wine-growing reaches back 2000 years. It was the Romans who brought vines from southern Europe to the province of Rhaetia. Documents from the 12th to the 14th century are evidence that the vines were thriving throughout the Middle Ages and that there were extensive vineyards at the foot of Calanda.
The so-called "Neubruchtorkel", built in 1604, houses the biggest wine press in eastern Switzerland with a 14.5-metre-long cross beam. Since 1984 the wine press functions as a museum exhibiting the rich wine culture of Chur. The documentary film "From Vine to Wine" depicts the year of a vintner. Booking is required.
The wine museum is also a perfect venue for social events like company socials, family gatherings, birthdays and reunions, but also cultural events like readings or workshops.
- Visits by prior arrangement only
Responsible for this content Chur Tourismus.
This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.